Thursday, January 28, 2010

1 year and 1 day

It has been 1 year and 1 day since we officially started our adoption (papers signed). It has been 10 years since we met. It has been 8 years since we first seriously had the family planning talk, 6 and a half years since we started dating officially, and 2 and a half years (and a day) since we got married. Wow! It feels like it's been 5 years since we decided to move on from our dream of adopting from Ghana. Time is such a mystery.

I've been in the nesting mode lately. Today I found myself walking up and down the baby/children ailes of Superstore picking up items and putting them back. This act, in and of itself, might be a relatively normal thing to do...if I hadn't done it yesterday as well! As I swallowed back the growing lump in my throat all I could think was, "At least I can have a glass of wine with supper!" Just trying to find the bright side of the adoption wait!

1 year certainly isn't a long time in the adoption world and I am well aware of that. I don't know how so many of our friends find the strength to continue to wake and work every day after 2 or 3 years into the process. My heart goes out to them and I keep them in my prayers every day.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes just give into the temptation and buy something for your dream kidlets! (even if you don't use it, doesn't matter) It's the thought that counts.

And you'll get through this.

Jess said...

it's true... I finally just bought something - and I ended up giving it all to my sister-in-law since I bought 'gender neutral' and knew I would not put it on a girl! :) hugs

M/T.A. said...

Oh...hang in there....I so can relate to this pain. Only a phone call will take it away. Every once in awhile I did buy things I liked...I found it therapeutic, even if I had to give it away once I found out the gender. Hey, and as for the wine...I kept drinking if long after Rachel came! Still do! One of life's wonderful pleasures.

Ricki said...

Shopping for my future kidlet was one of the things that helped me keep up hope and my sanity during the long wait...don't hold back! Oh, and the wine was a big help too :)

Ranavan said...

Shop my friend - just go out looking and when you find one or two things you just can't resist buy them...it is a good feeling!